We have significant experience fighting for those whose fundamental rights have been violated, including victims of police and prosecutorial misconduct and racially-motivated violence. Our civil rights practice takes on all forms of constitutional violations wherever they occur, including discrimination, wrongful convictions, police misconduct, and other government overreach. Representative examples of our civil rights work (some of which took place before the launch of Bloch & White LLP) include:
- Secured nearly $2 million jury verdict in federal court on behalf of client wrongfully incarcerated for nearly two years in an evidence fabrication and evidence non-disclosure case, which included punitive damage awards against three NYPD officers and a judgment against New York City for its unconstitutional evidence non-disclosure policies. Coverage of the trial victory and its aftermath can be found here and here.
- Representing incarcerated individual who was brutally assaulted by a corrections officer on video, conduct for which the officer subsequently pled guilty on federal criminal charges. Coverage of our client’s story can be found here and here.
- Representing estate of individual whose wrongful murder conviction was overturned due to newly discovered forensic evidence that exonerated him after he served 25 years in prison.
- Representing NYPD officer and Tibetan-asylee after federal criminal charges accusing him of acting as a foreign agent for the Chinese government were dismissed in their entirety, albeit after he spent six months incarcerated (mostly in solitary confinement) and two months on house arrest.
- Represented federal organization of criminal defense attorneys in litigation and mediation against the U.S. Bureau of Prisons concerning the Sixth Amendment attorney access rights of inmates at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn.
- Represented technology company bringing Fourth Amendment privacy claims against the City of Los Angeles in connection with the City’s attempt to extract mobility data from company devices.
We have a depth of experience litigating high stakes appeals in federal and state courts, at all levels and in all types of matters.
We have significant experience fighting for those whose fundamental rights have been violated, including victims of police and prosecutorial misconduct and racially-motivated violence.
We have years of experience litigating complex commercial disputes representing the most sophisticated of clients in a wide range of business disputes.
Criminal Defense & Government Investigations
We have substantial experience representing clients suspected of, or charged with, all manners of criminal offenses at the state and federal level, as well as individuals investigated by law enforcement or regulatory agencies.
Public Interest & Impact Litigation
We formed this firm to fight aggressively in the public interest, including in the spheres of political extremism, criminal justice reform, gun violence, reproductive rights, and many others. We know from experience that many of our most fundamental rights are vindicated in the courtroom.
Trials & Trial Support
As trial lawyers with significant courtroom experience, we are available to assist clients or other attorneys approaching trial, including by co-counseling cases that could benefit from additional trial support.